This Week at St Mary’s
The Office is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 12.30pm
Ash Wednesday Worship
7.30am Holy Communion with Imposition of Ashes
8.00pm Sung Eucharist with Imposition of Ashes
8.30am Morning Prayer on Monday and Wednesday
8.30am Holy Communion on Tuesday
12.30pm Holy Communion on Thursday
Home Groups (The Parish Office has Contact Details)
Tuesday at 8.00pm (Contact: Ellie Cooke)
4th Wednesday/month Men’s Group at 8.30pm (Contact Peter Wintgens)
Thursday at 1.20pm in Upper Vestry (Contact: Leslie Spatt)
Sunday at 9.30am (Contact: Colin Wimsett)
3rd Sunday/month [email protected]’s Group at 7.15pm (Contact: Colin Wimsett)
This Week at St Mary’s
Monday Toddler Group at Dimson Lodge at 9.30am
Bell Ringing Practice at 7.45pm
Wednesday Ministry Team Meeting at 9.15am
Full Choir Practice at 7.30pm
Special Services, Events & Meetings
Tuesday Pancake Party for Children in the crypt 4.00pm to 6.00pm
Sunday 14th February: First Sunday in Lent
8.30am Holy Communion (Traditional Language)
11.00am Parish Eucharist and Junior Church
6.30pm Stations of the Cross
THIS WEEK’S NOTICES
- Ash Wednesday 10th February: Many of you will want to worship on this day of fasting and prayer at the beginning Lent. Services are at 7.30am and 8pm: both will include the Imposition of Ashes.
- Lent Study Groups: Last Chance to Sign Up this week. Lent Study Groups will focus on the Bible Study Resources for Lent produced by the Scottish Bible Society. Contact Peter Wintgens for details ([email protected]).
- Lent Book & Reading Group: Simon is encouraging people to read the Bible Reading Fellowship’s Lent Book, Dust and Ashes by David Runcorn, which can be purchased in various formats (including e-reader). It is a book of daily bible readings and reflections. There will also be a discussion group, arising out of our reading of this book, which will meet in the Woodman on these dates: February 15, March 1, 7, 15, 22 at 8pm. More details from Simon.
- Sunday Evenings in Lent: Stations of the Cross. It has proved very difficult to arrange speakers for our usual Lent Talks this year, owing to the short notice period following Simon’s return to ministry. We hope to arrange a serious of talks later in the year, perhaps on a monthly basis. In place of these, this year, we shall experience the Stations of the Cross, a devotional pilgrimage around the church, focusing on the events of the Passion of Christ. Each service will begin at 6.30pm and last about 45 minutes. This replaces Evening Prayer.
- “One to Ones” in Lent: Our clergy are always keen to make themselves available to listen and assist you in your faith journey throughout the year, but Lent is an especially good time to seek them out. Simon in particular is making a special effort this year to spend time with people after the difficult events of the end of 2015. Please contact him or Peter directly to arrange to see them.
- Advance Notice: Palm Sunday. On the evening of 20th March, St Mary’s Choir will be performing Mozart’s Requiem. Invite you friends.
- We’re still collecting donations for the local night shelter. They need warm winter coats, jumpers, gloves, scarves & hats, toiletries, socks, new underwear, jeans, t-shirts and sleeping bags. Please bring any donations to church on Sundays or between 9 and 12.30 on weekdays. Thank you Libby Bradshaw and Carol Bailey.
- Join the team working together at St Marys’: There are opportunities to assist in the Sunday life of the Church in a number of ways: Junior Church leaders, reading the bible, leading the prayers, administering Holy Communion and – a new opportunity – acting as server and Sacristan. All on a rota basis: speak to the clergy or a staff team member to find out more. Training is always given.
For Your Prayers
Prayer for the Week:
Reveal your presence to us this day, O God of light, love, and glory.
As you did to your servants at the foot of the mountain,
send your Spirit to show us your story.
May the brilliance of your face illuminate this place
as we dare to proclaim your Word
and may we, your people, be never unable
to tell all of that we have heard. Amen.
Daily Bible Reading
Monday Mark 6: 53 – end
Tuesday Mark 7: 1 – 13
Wednesday John 8: 1 – 11
Thursday Luke 9: 22 – 25
Friday Matthew 9: 14 – 15
Saturday Luke 5: 27 – 32
Next Sunday’s Readings:
Deuteronomy 26: 1 – 11; Romans 10: 8b – 13; Luke 4: 1 – 13
For the Church and the World
- For our journey individually and together through Lent;
- For negotiations about Britain’s future role in the EU;
- For actions to respond to the Zika virus outbreak in South America;
- For the children of our church and for Asi, our Families and Children’s minister.
For those who have asked for our prayers
Andrew Lee, Billy Garrett, Hilary Blumer, Gerald Twum & Sonia Smith, Rosemary & Roy Croft, Sue Reeve, Sue Feasey, Tyrone Whiting, Daisy Campbell, Maria Munisi, Miriam Wolff, Gaye Jackson, Valerie Coughlin, Theresa Geldart, Tom Price, Linh, Nicholas Tester, Phyllis Green, Liz Murthy, Junior Payton, Laurence, Kirstie Moore and Jean Hester
Those Who Have Died Recently, Their Families and Friends:
Lindy Williamson, Peter Richards, Pierre, Charles Harbord-Hammond, Tom Harris, David Townshend, Keith Allen, Rosemarie Peters, Dick Blackwood, Joan Pindar and Rev. Michael Winshurst