THIS WEEK’S NOTICES
- Parish Lunch: Next Sunday 24th January. Please note: this is a bring-and-share lunch coordinated by Sara Linton and team. Please contact Sara Linton to let her know if you are coming and to offer a contribution or help. Everyone is welcome.
- Deanery Panto: Robinson Crusoe on 28th, 29th and 30th January at 7 pm (2pm Matinee on 30th January) at Christ Church, Battersea. Tickets: adults £10, children U14 £5. Group rates: adults £8 and children £3. Box office and enquiries Carol Brindle on [email protected] or 020 7585 2438.
- Mardi Gras Party: This pre-Lent Community Concert is on Saturday 6th February at 7pm. It is absolutely free (there will be a retiring collection) and will involve performers from St Mary’s and the wider community. Anne Hull is coordinating refreshments with some others: offers of help to Anne please ([email protected]). Please take away one of the flyers at the back and invite your neighbours. Mardi Gras masks may be worn!
- Winter Recital Series: Owing to Tyrone Whiting’s sudden illness, these concerts have been cancelled. The Recital Series will return later in the year.
5. Lent Study Groups: These popular groups will be beginning soon. You can sign up at the back of church to join our existing house groups for Lent or to join in extra groups that form at this time. Lent Study Groups will focus on Bible Study Resources for Lent produced by the Scottish Bible Society. Contact Peter Wintgens for details ([email protected]).
- Lent Book & Reading Group: Simon is encouraging people to read the Bible Reading Fellowship’s Lent Book, Dust and Ashes by David Runcorn, which can be purchased in various formats from Amazon, Book Depository or Church House Books. It is a book of daily bible readings and reflections. Additionally, Simon is going to host a discussion group, arising out of our reading of this book, which will meet in the Woodman (beer for those not giving it up in Lent!) on these dates in Lent: February 15, March 1, 7, 15, 22 at 8pm.
- Lent Talks: Being a Friend to Someone…Our Lent Sunday evening talks are being planned to cover issues people experience in daily life, such as addiction, depression, bereavement, dementia and self-worth and confidence. All will take place at 7pm after Evening Prayer on Sunday evenings in Lent.
- New Logo: The PCC is about to choose a new logo for the parish and there are two which have been professionally- designed from which you can indicate your preference by voting at the back of church in the next three weeks. Before anyone asks, we’re not proposing any alternatives to these if you don’t like either!
St Mary’s is:
a community of Christ’s disciples, faithful and enquiring;
a community of love, hospitable and nurturing;
and a community of difference, inclusive and transforming.
This Week at St Mary’s
The Office is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 12.30pm
8.30am Morning Prayer on Monday and Wednesday
8.30am Holy Communion on Tuesday
12.30pm Holy Communion on Thursday
Home Groups (The Parish Office has Contact Details)
Tuesday at 8.00pm (Contact: Ellie Cooke)
4th Wednesday/month Men’s Group at 8.30pm (Contact Peter Wintgens)
Thursday at 1.20pm in Upper Vestry (Contact: Leslie Spatt)
Sunday at 9.30am (Contact: Colin Wimsett)
3rd Sunday/month [email protected]’s Group at 7.15pm (Contact: Colin Wimsett)
This Week at St Mary’s
Canon Simon Butler is on Retreat from Monday to Thursday
Monday Toddler Group at Dimson Lodge at 9.30am
Office Hour for Booking Weddings and Baptisms 6.30pm-8pm
Bell Ringing Practice at 7.45pm
Wednesday Ministry Team Meeting at 9.15am
Full Choir Practice at 7.30pm
Special Services, Events & Meetings
Saturday PCC Meeting at 10.00am in the Crypt
(Coffee & Croissants from 9.40am)
Sunday 24th January: Third Sunday of Epiphany
8.30am Holy Communion (Traditional Language)
11.00am Parish Eucharist with Junior Church
6.30pm Week of Prayer for Christian Unity Service at All Saints’ Church, 100 Prince of Wales Drive.
No Evening Service at St Mary’s.
For Your Prayers
Prayer for the Week:
God of glory, you nourish us with your Word
who is the bread of life:
fill us with your Holy Spirit
that through us the light of your glory may shine in all the world.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
Daily Bible Reading
Monday Mark 2: 18 – 22
Tuesday Mark 2: 23 – end
Wednesday Mark 3: 1 – 6
Thursday Mark 3: 7 – 12
Friday Mark 3: 13 – 19
Saturday Mark 3: 20 – 21
Next Sunday’s Readings:
Nehemiah 8: 1 -3, 5 – 6, 8 – 10; 1 Corinthians 12: 12 – 31a; Luke 4: 14 – 21
For the Church and the World
- For the Primates of the Anglican Communion meeting in Canterbury;
- For rough sleepers and for the proposed Wandsworth Churches Night Shelter;
- For our PCC meeting on Saturday as we take key decisions about the Mooring Scheme,
For those who have asked for our prayers
Andrew Lee, Billy Garret, Barbara Davies, Hilary Blumer, Annie Gent, Patrick Letherby, Timothy Dawe, Paul, Gerald Twum & Sonia Smith, Rosemary & Roy Croft, Sue Reeve, Sue Feasey, Tyrone Whiting, Maria Munisi, Mirijam Wolff, Daisy Campbell, Gaye Jackson, Robert Burrows, Valerie Coughlin, Theresa Geldat and Tom Price
Those Who Have Died Recently, Their Families and Friends:
Nancy Hanson, Mary Akpan, Winfield Herbert, Margaret Pringle, Rita Jackson, Norman Morris, Luis Vincente, Pamela Westland, Lindy Williamson and Peter Richards
KEEP IN TOUCH BY SUBSCRIBING TO OUR MONTHLY E-NEWSLETTER
SUBSCRIBE at www.stmarysbattersea.org.uk