Next Sunday 31st January: The Feast of Candlemas
(The Presentation of Christ in the Temple)
8.30am Holy Communion (Traditional Language)
11.00am Parish Eucharist with Junior Church & Candlemas Procession
6.30pm Evening Prayer with Hymns
Shrove Tuesday 9th February 4pm to 6pm St Mary’s Crypt – Children and their Parents all welcome
Details and offers of help to Asi Munisi [email protected] 07462 655 043
This Week at St Mary’s
The Office is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 12.30pm
8.30am Morning Prayer on Monday and Wednesday
8.30am Holy Communion on Tuesday
12.30pm Holy Communion on Thursday
Home Groups (The Parish Office has Contact Details)
Tuesday at 8.00pm (Contact: Ellie Cooke)
4th Wednesday/month Men’s Group at 8.30pm (Contact Peter Wintgens)
Thursday at 1.20pm in Upper Vestry (Contact: Leslie Spatt)
Sunday at 9.30am (Contact: Colin Wimsett)
3rd Sunday/month [email protected]’s Group at 7.15pm (Contact: Colin Wimsett)
This Week at St Mary’s
Monday Toddler Group at Dimson Lodge at 9.30am
Bell Ringing Practice at 7.45pm
Wednesday Ministry Team Meeting at 9.15am
Full Choir Practice at 7.30pm
Special Services, Events & Meetings
Wednesday Funeral service of Thomas Blackwood in Church at 2.45pm
Saturday Battersea Deanery Pantomime ‘Robinson Crusoe’ at Christ Church & St Stephen, Battersea Park Rd. (Evening: 7pm; Saturday Matinee: 2pm)
Saturday Marriage Preparation Day in the crypt at 10am
THIS WEEK’S NOTICES
- Parish Lunch: Today. Please note: this is a bring-and-share lunch coordinated by Sara Linton and team.Everyone is welcome.
- Deanery Panto: Details above. Tickets: adults £10, children U14 £5. Group rates: adults £8 and children £3. Box office and enquiries Carol Brindle on [email protected] or 020 7585 2438.
- Mardi Gras Party: This pre-Lent Community Concert is on Saturday 6th February at 7pm. It is absolutely free (there will be a retiring collection) and will involve performers from St Mary’s and the wider community. Anne Hull is coordinating refreshments with some others: offers of help to Anne please ([email protected]). Please take away one of the flyers at the back and invite your neighbours. Mardi Gras masks may be worn!
- The West London Churches Homeless Concern (WLCHC) are looking for donations for their night shelters. They especially need warn winter coats, jumpers, gloves, scarves & hats, toiletries, socks, new underwear, jeans, t-shirts and sleeping bags. Please bring any donations to church on Sundays or between 9 and 12.30 on weekdays. Thank you Libby and Carol Bailey
- Ash Wednesday is 10th February: Services at 7.30am (for the early risers) and a Sung Service at 8pm. Both services will include acts of penitence and dedication at the beginning of Lent, together with the imposition of Ashes.
- Lent Study Groups: These popular groups will be beginning soon. You can sign up at the back of church to join our existing house groups for Lent or to join in extra groups that form at this time. Lent Study Groups will focus on Bible Study Resources for Lent produced by the Scottish Bible Society. Contact Peter Wintgens for details ([email protected]).
- Lent Book & Reading Group: Simon is encouraging people to read the Bible Reading Fellowship’s Lent Book, Dust and Ashes by David Runcorn, which can be purchased in various formats from Amazon, Book Depository or Church House Books. It is a book of daily bible readings and reflections. Additionally, Simon is going to host a discussion group, arising out of our reading of this book, which will meet in the Woodman (beer for those not giving it up in Lent!) on these dates in Lent: February 15, March 1, 7, 15, 22 at 8pm.
- Lent Talks: Being a Friend to Someone…Our Lent Sunday evening talks are being planned to cover issues people experience in daily life, such as addiction, dementia, depression, bereavement, and self-worth and confidence. All will take place at 7pm after Evening Prayer on Sunday evenings in Lent.
- “One to Ones” in Lent: Our clergy are always keen to make themselves available to listen and assist you in your faith journey throughout the year, but Lent is an especially good time to seek them out. Simon in particular is making a special effort this year to spend time with people after the difficult events of the end of 2015. Please contact him or Peter directly to arrange to see them.
For Your Prayers
Prayer for the Week:
Father, Son and Holy Spirit, dwell in us that we may become a communion of love and holiness. Make us one in you, who lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.
Week of Prayer for Christian Unity 2016
Daily Bible Reading
Monday Matthew 19:27-end
Tuesday Mark 3: 31– end
Wednesday Mark 4: 1 – 20
Thursday Mark 4: 21 – 25
Friday Mark 4: 26 – 34
Saturday Mark 4: 26 – 34
Next Sunday’s Readings: Malachi 3: 1 – 5; 2 Corinthians 3: 12 – 4: 2; Luke 2: 22 – 40
For the Church and the World
- For unity among all Christian People and especially in the Anglican Communion
- For the victims of sexual violence and abuse in our church and community
- For those who are tempted to suicide
- For those who rejoice in answered prayer
- For the implementations of decisions made by our Church Council at its recent meeting and especially for the future of our moorings.
For those who have asked for our prayers
Andrew Lee, Billy Garret, Hilary Blumer, Gerald Twum & Sonia Smith, Rosemary & Roy Croft, Sue Reeve, Sue Feasey, Tyrone Whiting, Daisy Campbell, Maria Munisi, Mirijam Wolff, Gaye Jackson, Robert Burrows, Valerie Coughlin, Theresa Geldart, Tom Price, Linh, Nicholas Tester and Phyllis Green
Those Who Have Died Recently, Their Families and Friends:
Margaret Pringle, Rita Jackson, Norman Morris, Luis Vincente, Pamela Westland, Lindy Williamson, Peter Richards, Pierre, Charles Harbord-Hamond and Tom Harris