This Week at St Mary’s
The Office is open from Monday till Friday 9am to 12.30pm.
8.30am Morning Prayer on Monday and Wednesday
8.30am Holy Communion on Tuesday
12.30pm Holy Communion on Thursday
Home Groups (The Parish Office has Contact Details)
Tuesday at 8.00pm (Contact: Ellie Cooke)
4th Wednesday/month Men’s Group at 8.30pm (Contact Peter Wintgens)
Thursday at 1.20pm in Upper Vestry (Contact: Leslie Spatt)
Sunday at 9.30am (Contact: Colin Wimsett)
This Week at St Mary’s
Monday Toddler Group at Dimson Lodge at 9.30am
Bell Ringing Practice at 7.45pm
Wednesday Staff Meeting at 9.15am
Full Choir Practice at 7.30pm
Thursday Revd. Peter Wintgens unavailable until 10th May
Sunday 1st May: Sixth Sunday of Easter
8.30am Holy Communion (Traditional Language)
11.00am Parish Eucharist with Junior Church
6.30 pm Evening Prayer & Bible Study
The EU Referendum Debate
I would particularly be pleased to hear from a couple of members of the congregation about making a contribution to June’s Newsletter on the question of the EU Referendum. I’m looking for someone who supports the Remain viewpoint and another in favour of the Leave position, who could write an article each for the newsletter (or perhaps would be willing to work together on a single one), including perhaps offering some faith-based perspective. I’ll also be writing something of a more general nature to inform the debate from a theological viewpoint.
Please get in touch with me direct. Thank you. Simon.
THIS WEEK’S NOTICES
1.Revd. Peter & Alison Wintgens: Last Sunday we announced that, after a quarter of a century of service and membership at St Mary’s, Peter and Alison will be moving to Woodbridge in Suffolk in the summer, for the next stage of their retirement. This is a great sadness to us all at St Mary’s, but we are naturally delighted for them that this long-standing wish is about to be realised. We have agreed that their final Sunday will be 24th July and that Peter will preach and preside at both morning services. We are anticipating some sort of church family picnic or other event in the Church Yard after the service. Please put this day in your diary. More details soon. Simon
2. Congregational List: This is our address book and contact directory. If you would like to be able to keep in touch with one another – and would like others to be able to contact you, please fill out a form at the back.
3. Christian Aid Week: This year the Away Giving Group has decided to try something new. Rather than having a series of nominated charities, the Group have decided to concentrate our giving to good causes on supporting more fully Christian Aid Week, 15th – 21st May. There will be a special focus on Christian Aid on Trinity Sunday, 22nd May. More details soon.
4. St Mary’s Fair: This year’s fair will take place on Saturday 17th September. Please can you start thinking about which stall you can help with? Speak to Debbie Apostolides if you would like to help with the overall organisation too. All offers of help very gratefully received! [email protected]
5. Flowers this Sunday have been given by Adrienne Slaughter and Gillian Lazar in memory of their parents who would have been celebrating their 70th Wedding Anniversary
6. Sound System: Following a recent bequest, we are working to replace the sound system in the coming months. We hope to complete this work by the end of the summer. Meanwhile, please bear with us if the sound system plays up!
7. PCC Working Groups: The PCC has a number of Working Groups – Finance, Fabric (Building & Churchyard), Families & Children, Congregational Life, Away Giving, Common Good. PCC members make up a majority of the members, but if you might be interested in serving on one of these groups please have a word with Simon (or email him) to find out more details. Groups meet about three times a year and take on tasks in the intervening time.
8. The Queen’s 90th Birthday: There will be a special Choral Evensong service giving thanks for Her Majesty’s long life on Sunday 12th June at 6.30pm.
For Your Prayers
Prayer for the Week:
Lord, raise up in your church
more leaders after your own heart
to guide us with courage and wisdom.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Daily Bible Reading
Monday Mark 13: 5 – 13
Tuesday John 14: 27 – end
Wednesday John 15: 1 – 8
Thursday John 15: 9 – 11
Friday John 15: 12 – 17
Saturday John 15: 18 – 21
Next Sunday’s Readings:
Acts 16: 9 – 15; John 5: 1 – 9
For the Church and the World
- Give thanks for Her Majesty the Queen as she celebrates her 90th
- For those elected to the Church Council and for the PCC’s work in the year ahead.
- For Peter & Alison Wintgens as they prepare to leave St Mary’s, and for the important work of handover that is beginning.
For those who have asked for our prayers
Billy Garrett, Sue Feasey, Junior Payton, William Raynor, Clive Moir, Theresa Nwosu, Sylvia, Valerie Coughlin, Liz McMurghty, Mark Holmes, Emma Belak, Micaki Dixon, Paul Kennington & Family, John Paton, Kate Bishop, Hilda Cooles, Tiny Hester, Ingrid Spatt and Flo Toms.
Those Who Have Died Recently, Their Families and Friends:
John Kennington, Shadan Finnagan, Sheila Crawford, Camilla Litser, Steve Parkins, Ethel MacArthur, Linnett Dixon, Cannute Jackson, Alfonso Wilson, Jean Hester, Olive Bingham. Chris Willmott, Lillian Dickenson and Petura Francis